Looking to make some extra money working at home as a general transcriptionist? Don’t have any prior experience in the field of general transcription or any type of transcription for that matter? I have compiled a list of companies that are hiring entry level general transcriptionists.
The wonderful thing about general transcription is that you do not require any formal training, unlike medical and legal transcription.
The skills needed to succeed at general transcription include having excellent listening skills, good grammar and spelling, strong keyboarding skills (a minimum of 50 wpm) as well as having good to excellent computer skills.
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the minimal expense needed to start working as a general transcriptionist. The absolutely essential equipment and software needed to work as a general transcriptionist are:
A good headset
I use and highly recommend the lightweight and portable with crystal clear sound Spectra USB Transcription Headset, available at Amazon.com.
A modern desktop or laptop with an up-to-date operating system.
Be sure to protect the privacy and confidentiality of the transcription company’s clients by having anti-virus software installed on your computer.
User friendly and feature rich, Express Scribe is the most popular transcription software with both a free and paid version. Express Scribe Pro has many more features than the free version, including playing more audio file types as well as video playback.
Not only that but Express Scribe Pro is compatible with almost all foot pedals, including Infinity foot pedals, the most widely used and popular foot pedals.
Transcription foot pedal
If you’re serious about working as a general transcriptionist I strongly suggest that you invest in a transcription foot pedal. I think you’ll be amazed at how much faster you’re able to transcribe using a foot pedal thus substantially increasing the amount of money you earn.
I couldn’t believe at how much having a foot pedal increased my speed when I started using one.
In fact, I cannot imagine doing general transcription work without one. Not only does a foot pedal increase the speed in which you transcribe it makes transcribing so much more of a seamless and pleasant experience, freeing up your hands to type instead of having to rely on hot keys to rewind, fast forward, play and pause the audio.
I personally use and highly recommend the Infinity USB Digital Foot Pedal, available on Amazon.com. I’ve used mine for over four years now and it still is working as good as new. For more information, including user reviews, and to purchase the Infinity USB Digital Foot Pedal please CLICK HERE.
You can purchase the Infinity Foot Pedal, Express Scribe Pro and the Spectra USB Transcription Headset bundled together at Amazon.com for a great price with free shipping.
For a very reasonable price with free shipping you can purchase the Infinity USB Digital Foot Pedal bundled with Express Scribe Pro transcription software and the Spectra USB Transcription Headset at Amazon.com.
Please CLICK HERE for more info, customer reviews and to purchase the Express Scribe Pro Transcription Kit with USB Foot Pedal & USB Transcription Headset by VEC Electronics / NCH Software.
Text Expander Software
Secondly, to drastically increase your transcription speed text expander software is a very wise investment. Not only will it increase your transcription speed, reducing the number of keystrokes, it will reduce the wear and tear on your body, helping to prevent you from getting carpal tunnel syndrome.
There are many text expanders available to download online. I have tried many of them but my personal favorite and the one that I use is Shorthand for Windows. You can download a totally free fully functional 30-day evaluation of the software on their website.
While most of the companies below require that you have transcription software and Microsoft Word there are some companies, such as Scribie and Rev.com, in which you won’t need to invest in Microsoft Word or transcription software as they have their own web browser based word editor and audio transcription player.
More than 30 entry level work at home transcription jobs
Now without further ado here is the list of more than 30 companies hiring entry level transcriptionists. I hope that people find my list helpful. I spent many hours compiling it. If anyone has had experience working for one of these companies or knows of another transcription company hiring newbies please do not hesitate to comment below.
Also, please feel free to comment below with any questions you many have about general transcription.
- 1-888-TYPE-IT-UP – Will hire inexperienced transcriptionists who can pass their transcription test and meet their minimum standards. Hires US transcriptionists only. Pay is from $36 to $180 per audio hour. Pay is twice a month via PayPal.
- 24/7 Transcripts – They are “open to hiring transcriptionists with no prior experience.” Specializes in transcribing, “focus groups, individual interviews, shop-alongs/intercepts and ethnographies, covering a wide variety of subjects.”
- 3PlayMedia – Will hire US based transcriptionists with no prior transcription experience who pass their application process, including transcription test. Require you to have a typing speed of at least 75 wpm. Not sure if you have to prove this in a typing speed test or not. On their website they state that that their transcriptionists make the equivalent of $10 – $30 per hour, depending on their efficiency. While they do have opportunities for English language transcriptionists they also are looking for transcriptionists who are fluent in both English and Spanish.
- Accutran Global–Specializes in the financial sector, mainly conference calls. Based in Canada but hires transcriptionists in other countries as well, including the US. Pays in US or CAD.
- Appenscribe – Newbie friendly Australian based transcription company which hires worldwide. Transcription work available in a variety of different languages, including English.
- Babbletype– Hires worldwide. Will hire independent contractors with no prior transcription experience who pass their transcription test. Pay rate for native English speakers is $0.40 to $0.80 per audio minute depending on type. Typical verbatim audio files pay $0.50 per audio minute. Pay for non-native speaking transcriptionists is significantly lower at $0.12 to $0.31 per audio minute. Pay is weekly via PayPal.
- BAM! Transcription– Production, entertainment and corporate transcription. Entry level okay if you can pass their transcription test. Apply through the contact page or email on their website.
- Birch Creek Communications– Prefers previous experience but not required. Pay varies depending on what type of transcription work you do. Pays $0.40 to $1.25 per audio minute for corporate and financial. For legal pays $0.75 to $1.75 a page.
- Casting Words– Hires from dozens of countries online. See their Frequently Asked Questions page for an extensive list of the countries they hire from as well as to answer any other question you might have. Lots of jobs posted broken down into 4-10 minute chunks so a great job if you just have a bit of spare time to do a transcription job or two. You can work either directly on their website or on the Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) site. If you work through the Casting Words website payment is via PayPal. If working through the Amazon MTurk site payment is via Amazon MTurk account. Payday is every Friday if paid via PayPal. If using the Amazon Mechanical Turk platform payout is a minimum of only $1. Can transfer money directly to your bank account from your Amazon MTurk account.
- CrowdSurf– Newbie friendly. Opportunity to complete transcription and captioning HITS (Human Intelligence Tasks) using the Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) platform. Must have an Amazon MTurk account. Pay is every Monday, Wednesday and Friday via your MTurk account.
- Daily Transcription – Always looking for both “professional and novice transcribers.”
- Focus Forward– Prefers previous experience but not required. Will hire beginner transcriptionists who pass their transcription test. Pays $0.40 to $0.65 per audio minute. Must be available to transcribe four hours of audio per week as well as a high speed Internet connection and Microsoft Word.
- Go Transcript – Will hire independent contractors with no prior experience in transcription who pass their transcription test. Hires worldwide. Pays every Friday via PayPal or a Payoneer account. Pay ranges from $0.21 to $0.60 per audio minute though according to the company, you can make much more as an editor. Company reports that you can easily earn $20 per day as a transcriber and $50 a day as an editor. Length of files are 3, 5 and 10 minutes.
- Hire A Typist – Hires transcriptionists in the UK only. No experience for this gig required though must have a typing speed of at least 60 wpm, foot pedal and headset. Pay is 45 p per audio minute. Pay is by the minute and second. To apply email them your resume and request a test file.
- GMR Transcription– Hires general transcriptionists (no experience necessary if you can pass their transcription test and maintain 98% accuracy). In addition to this they hire general transcriptionists with a medical background who are promised daily, consistent work. Only hires transcriptionists based in Canada and the USA. Please note that this company requires all transcriptionists to transcribe two hours of audio prior to receiving paid work. During this probationary period, they will be proofreading your work to ensure that it meets their standards.
- Hollywood Transcriptions – This transcription company has clients in the entertainment, academic, legal and corporate fields. Will hire transcriptionists with no prior experience. They do, however, require that you can type a minimum of 65 wpm, have a reliable PC/Mac with an Internet connection as well as own a foot pedal and transcription software among a couple of other prerequisites.
- Neal R. Gross & Co., Inc.– Entry level okay. Require you to type at least 60 wpm and transcribe at least 5 hours of audio a week. Must be able to work a minimum of 30 hours a week.
- Professionally Fast Transcription Services – Mostly general and legal transcription. No medical. Hires transcriptionists with no prior experience in the field who reside in North America or the UK. There is a short grammar and transcription test to determine your pay. Their starting rate of pay is very low at only $0.20 per audio minute which works out to a mere $12 per audio hour. Says all you need to work for them is a PayPal account, Apache OpenOffice (which is free and can be downloaded online) and transcription software such as Express Scribe. No minimum amount of work required.
- Quicktate– US based but hires outside of the US as well. Will hire people with no prior transcription experience who pass the typing test and quiz. Must have no convictions of felony or misdemeanor. If you pass the typing quiz and test, you’ll be required to pay $15 for a background check. Pay is quite low at only 1/4 cent per word for general and legal transcription. Audio files range in length from a few minutes long to significantly longer, possibly several hours. If you do well on the Quicktate typing test you may qualify to be tested for another company they are affiliated with, iDictate, which pays 1/2 cent per word.
- Rev.com – Will hire newbie transcriptionists who pass their qualification test, including short essay and transcription test. Pays weekly via PayPal $0.40 to $0.65 per audio minute. Usually lots of transcription jobs of various types, quality, pay and length available. Extensive tutorials and excellent 24/7 support. Has a very active forum which is extremely helpful and friendly. You do not need transcription software or Microsoft Word to work for them as they have a web browser based word editor and audio player. Audio player is comparable with most foot pedals. Both the word editor and foot pedal have a ton of useful cool features. The former even has a text expander, where you can import your Microsoft Word Auto Correct list if you like.
- RNK Productions, LLC– Specialize in legal and entertainment transcription. Will hire beginner transcriptionists who meet their requirements though previous experience in entertainment and legal transcription is a bonus. They specify that if interested in working as an independent contractor transcriptionist for them email your resume as an attachment. Not inline text. Hop over to their website for more info, including essential qualifications and email address.
- Scribie – Will hire anyone in the world with a verified PayPal account (method of payment) who passes their transcription test. Pay $5 to $20 per audio hour based on the difficulty of the audio file. Opportunity to be promoted as a reviewer if you transcribe one-hour of audio and maintain good grades. Pay for reviewing is the same as transcribing. There is a further opportunity to self-review if you do well as a reviewer. This effectively doubles your pay per audio hour. Files are six minutes or less with a turnaround time of two hours. You can reuest to have your earnings transferred to your PayPal account at any time. There are no minimum withdrawal levels though there is a 2% fee if the amount is less than $30. Has its own web browser based text editor and audio player. Have the option of either typing or dictating the transcript, the later using the voice recognition software on their editor. Hires worldwide.
- Speechpad– Hires transcripionists with no prior experience who pass their qualification test. Pays $0.25 – $1.00 per audio minute for transcription jobs. The pay rate for captioning jobs ranges from $0.30 to $1.00 per audio minute. Opportunities to work as a reviewer as well if the transcriptionist has consistent high quality work. Review jobs pay $0.20 to $1.00 per audio minute. Offers bonuses for jobs completed that have been highly rated by customers (typically 5 out of 5). Workers are paid every Friday via PayPal.
- Speech Ink – Hires newbie transcriptionists though some jobs require that you pass a Rating Qualification and/or Confidentially Qualification test. Transcription jobs done through the Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) service. Pay is quite low at $15 to $30 per audio hour. However, transcriptionists receive a bonus for the jobs you complete based on the quality their work, apparently as high as 50% of the initial job rate.
- Tigerfish– Will hire entry level if you pass their transcription test. Hires only US citizens or legal residents.
- TranscribeMe– Payments made once a week via PayPal if you have a minimum of $10 earnings in your account. Will hire anyone who passes their entrance exam. Hires worldwide but must be able to get paid via PayPal. Pay is $20 per audio hour if you have no experience. However, if you have some experience you can apply for higher paying jobs of up to $50 per audio hour on their specialty teams. Audio files are split into short audio files averaging from ten seconds to one minute. This is great if you only have free short periods of time for transcription work.
- Transcription Hub – Hires newbie transcriptionists who pass their transcription test. Based on how well you do on the test you will be assigned a rating of Bronze, Silver or Gold, the later being the highest with the best rate of pay. Once you pass their test you’ll have access to the Marketplace where you can choose which files you want to transcribe. You’ll have 24 hours to complete and upload the transcript.
- Transcriptions ‘N Translations– Will hire entry level transcriptionists who pass their transcription test.
- TSI Transcription Services Inc– Verbatim transcription covering a wide variety of topics and industries. No medical transcription. Will hire “professionals with limited transcription experience” who meet their qualifications, including a minimum typing speed of 70 wpm as well as a college degree or equivalent work experience. Forward your resume to them via the email address on their website if interested in working for them.
- ubiqus– Only hires US based native English speaking transcriptionists. Prior transcription experience is not required though highly recommended.
- Verbal Ink– Prefers experience but will hire newbie transcriptionists who pass their transcription test.
- Way With Words– Hires worldwide. Will hire applicants with no experience in transcription who pass their assessment. Pay via PayPal. Can also be paid through your bank account if you have a UK bank account. Pay for entry level transcriptionists begins at $0.40 per audio minute. Their “very best transcribers,” earn up to $1.38 per audio minute.